– Investigators cleared Baya’s name from the list of people alleged to have been involved in ”manufacturing” the obscene video
– The TUKO.co.ke editor had been arrested over claims he created and leaked the alleged bedroom video of Wajir female MP Gedi
– The viral bedroom video believed to be of Gedi had made rounds on social media long and TUKO.co.ke reported about it
– Baya, who is purely an entertainment writer at TUKO.co.ke, was detained at Muthaiga police station from Thursday December 27
– He was presented to court the following day and prosecution got permission to hold him for 7 more days
– He was then released from police custody a day later and asked to report back on January 2 when he was told the file has been closed
The Directorate of Criminal Investigations(DCI) has dropped its investigations against TUKO.co.ke Entertainment Editor Douglas Baya, who had been arrested over claims he manufactured the obscene video alleged to be of Wajir Women Representative Fatuma Gedi.
DCI also cleared his name from the list of people alleged to have been involved in ”manufacturing” of the said video.
Baya, who is purely an Entertainment writer was arraigned at the Kiambu High Court on January 2, 2019, where DCI sought to conduct more investigation before charging him
Send ‘NEWS’ to 40227 to receive all the important breaking news as it happens
The journalist was accompanied by his Lawyer Kevin Njoroge who ensured DCI’s order to clear his client’s name goes in line with the law.
As reported by TUKO.co.ke earlier Douglas Baya initially appeared before Kiambu Senior Resident Magistrate Brian Khaemba on Friday, December 28, but did not take a plea as prosecution sought to hold him for 7 more days pending investigations.
Cyber-crime investigating officer Bakhith Khaungu requested for 14 days to allow them obtain a forensic report on cyber report from the Communication Authority of Kenya.
TUKO.co.ke earlier on reported the journalist was arrested by detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) on Thursday, December 27, at his Kakamega home and flown to Nairobi.
The bedroom video showing a woman with a striking resemblance to Gedi in bed with an unknown man had done rounds on social media platforms by the time TUKO.co.ke reported about it.
She issued a statement regarding the video but did not expressly deny being the one in the explicit video.